Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing isn't for Everyone, But Give it a Shot for More Ambitious Summer Reading

This book. What can I say about this book (A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing by Eimear McBride) ? I WANTED to like it. The reviews and the stellar ratings and ravings made me certain that it would fall in line with the kind of literature that I devour like ice cream on a hot day.

A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing by Eimear McBride. 
But, in keeping with the whole summer ice cream analogy, it melted before I could really appreciate what it had to offer. I just couldn't get into it. I tried. I gave it several attempts but I just couldn't stick it out. Which is unfortunate because I am not usually a book quitter.

I'm all for experimental style writing and stream of consciousness story-telling. I thought this book would be a more substantial summer read for me, but I had to abandon it. Even though it didn't work for me, I wouldn't rule it out. It won a slew of book prizes, so clearly I may be the one not getting this book. In the meantime, I'm putting it on my "to read again" shelf for another day. Maybe Winter is a better suited season for me to indulge in this one.

Blogger note: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. This review is entirely based on my opinion and contains my honest evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment