Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DIY Type: Stencil Your Heart Out the Easy and Fun Way

Despite my best efforts, crafty is not a word I would use to describe myself. But that has never stopped me from testing the waters of different artsy-medium with varying degrees of success. I've been a big fan of typography, so snagging a copy of DIY Type: 50+ Typographic Stencils for Decorating, Crafting and Gifting by Dana Tanamachi with the intention of trying out some of the typographic projects was a no-brainer.

DIY Type by Dana Tanamachi
DIY Type by Dana Tanamachi
The Good: Typography really doesn't get much easier than what is presented in this book. Tanamachi has set this up basically as a book of alphabet stencils with 2 sizes for each letter, and then a short overview of ideas for projects ranging from home decor, wardrobe and entertaining. Simply trace the stencil on your desired medium, fill in with your stylistic preference and voila!

The Bad: I was hoping for more projects to inspire me. While the stencils alone are a great starting out point, as someone with little innate creativity, I need more visual examples of what I can do with them. This book, paired with another that includes specific project ideas would have been a perfect match.

All in all, this book provides the starting point for some fun projects (or just rainy day doodling), considering you have a bit more of a creative jumping off point than I do. Grab a sketch pad, some sharpies and just act like a kid again. It's fun!

Blogger note: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. This review is entirely based on my opinion and contains my honest evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment